At Didion a Food Quality Lab Technician applies scientific methods and processes to analyze product samples in our state of the art Corn Mill. In this position, you will sample and test corn ingredient products, perform inspections and document and communicate results. You will also conduct metal detector verifications, and accurately enter lab results into a tracking system. You will also perform allergen testing during change overs on equipment and complete and enforce compliance in all areas for GMP, food safety, safety and sanitation.
Experience in a quality or food safety role is helpful, and we are willing to train a team member who has the drive and desire to learn and grow a career in quality or food safety.
Personal and Work Environment SAFETY is achieved through:
- Development and ownership of all aspects the Mill Safety Culture. Safety Maturity is advanced through constant development of safe behaviors, procedures and systems.
- Commitment to follow all safety procedures, GMP’s, performs risk assessments prior to commencing an unfamiliar task, seek to identify and implement proactive safety improvements, and use PPE when required such as: chemical handling, hearing protection, lock-out tag-out, respiratory masks, etc.
- Ensure compliance to highest level of food safety not limited to filling in the appropriate documentation.
- Absolute adherence to safety procedures with use, inspection, and care of lab equipment.
The highest levels of QUALITY and EFFICIENCY are achieved through passionate commitment and proactive ownership. People in this key role:
- Efficiently and accurately test finished product blends.
- Efficiently and accurately verify mill in-process samples in both in-process and main labs.
- Perform Inspections including Pre-Operative and Food Safety – document and communicate results.
- Perform Daily Operating Inspections of pack line as needed to assure compliance with GMP’s and regulatory requirements.
- Perform quality checks on the following:
- Seal and bag
- Code markings
- Weight checks
- Metal detector verification in Pack and Loadout.
- Accurately enter lab results for in-process and finished product samples into ASC.
- Efficiently acquire and deliver finished product samples to the main lab for testing.
- Train new lab techs on all Line Tech duties.
- Routinely perform allergen testing during changeovers on all shared equipment.
- Consistently complete and enforce compliance in all areas for GMP, food safety, safety and sanitation.
- Report to management any conditions or practices that may adversely affect food safety, food quality or personnel safety.
- Daily review of operations production and regulatory records.
- Creating a climate that respects and values each team member’s individual contributions.
- Ability to interact and to manage conflict in stressful situations while maintaining composure and perspective.
- Strong initiative and the ability to work with others to achieve desired results.
- Perform physical and chemical analyses including, but not limited to, NIR, granulations, viscosity, RVA, and Bostwick (hot and cold).
- Cross trained in all lab tech positions.
- Personally committed to add value to the organization, the department, and the team by performing all tasks required to support the Quality group in the efficient operation of the lab.
To qualify for this position, an individual must possess any combination of experience and education that would likely produce the desired job outcomes. Specific requirements include:
- High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED). 1-2 years of prior quality assurance experience is preferred but will train the right motivated individual.
- Effective written and oral communication skills and the ability to collaborate with internal stakeholders is required.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently in order to communicate effectively with team members within and external to quality department.
- A positive, proactive demeanor resulting in a passion for excellence while being humbly confident and displaying a can do attitude knowing that good isn’t good enough.
- Demonstrate ability to multi-task, prioritize, make decisions, and troubleshoot multiple equipment and processes that requires attention to detail.
- Ability to work autonomously using critical thinking, problem solving, and troubleshooting skills to complete assigned tasks safely without supervision.
- General computer competency required including typing, web browser, and Microsoft Office; competency of Intelex and ASC software or ability to learn required.
- Ability to accurately collect and test product samples and analyze against standards to determine if corrective action is required.
- Demonstrate personal initiative and collaborative, team player approach.
- Ability to proactively drive continuous improvement.
Physical and Environmental factors include:
- Must be able to work in environmental factors that include noise, dust, hot weather, and cold weather.
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be able to ascend and descend stairs, ladders, and gangways on a frequent basis and be able to work while standing on a continuous basis.
- Must be able to communicate by using and hearing 2-way radio.