The Ethanol Lab Technician is a hands on technical position vital to Didion Ethanol’s safe, reliable, environmentally consciousness production of Ethanol, its by-products and waste. This position requires a tremendous attention to detail, multi-tasking and the ability to self-direct lab activities.
- Collect samples from fermentation tanks, water samples and other production essential products.
- Prioritize and perform real time analysis of samples, react and report any issues to Operators to insure quality, quantity and efficiency of all products and processes.
- Perform physical and chemical analyses including, but not limited to: sugar content moisture content, solids, starch, titration, bacteria levels and water quality, using techniques such as chromatography, spectroscopy, physical and chemical separation techniques, and microscopy.
- Use and calibrate laboratory instruments that include moisture ovens, HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography), refractometers, and NIR spectrometers.
- Perform investigative tests to support the business which may require learning new techniques or methods
- Follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Prepare laboratory documentation including: technical reports, graphs and charts to monitor real time results.
- Monitor operators and other personnel in the handling and production of chemical products.
- Maintain and clean lab area and equipment, order and inventory materials to maintain supplies.
- Seeks out additional value-add opportunities for the position and the organization.
- Assist in yearly shutdowns.
To qualify for this position, an individual must possess any combination of experience and education that would likely produce the desired job outcomes. Specific requirements include:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry or other related subject is preferred. Six months lab experience can be academic or professional.
- Ability to accurately collect and test product samples and analyze against standards to determine if corrective action is required.
- Effective written and oral communication skills and the ability to collaborate with internal stakeholders is required.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently.
- Computer capability. Ability to enter and retrieve data in Excel and communicate via e-mail.
- Ability to monitor product on the production floor, climb stairs and ladders.