The Manager of Rail Logistics is a key member of the Didion team and provides leadership for Rail logistics for all Didion locations. The role works collaboratively across departments and locations to develop, align and implement Rail transportation/logistic services to improve rail transportation efficiencies, customer satisfaction with logistics and the company’s bottom-line results. This role will work closely with the team that operationalizes rail transportation of product to Didion’s customers.
Implement a safe and efficient rail transportation strategy that supports the company’s overall strategic business plan, performance objectives, and customer expectations.
Understand and execute best-in-class rail transportation/logistics practices.
- Bring to work a positive, proactive demeanor resulting in superior teamwork, mentoring, and collaboration with team members while demonstrating a commitment to excellence.
- Steadfast adherence to all safety requirements at all times while instilling a culture of “safety first” throughout the department.
- Work closely with Mill and alcohol personal located in Cambria and Markesan to ensure safe and efficient rail yard operations.
- Work with local, regional and Class 1 railroads to establish the best available route and rates.
- Manage and direct all rail car maintenance.
- Manage the leasing and or purchasing of rail cars including in service monitoring.
- Work closely with sales on Demurrage Billing and Turn expectations.
- Establishing relationships with all railroads and problem solving transportation delays and concerns.
- Providing customer service to internal and external customers related to rail shipments.
- Driving continuous improvement by identifying ways to streamline processes, reduce waste, enhance safety, customer service, and cost savings.
- Develop fleet, implements standards, and successfully leads negotiations with equipment suppliers, Local/Regional and Class 1 Railroads to optimize efficiencies.
- Oversee asset planning and monitor budgets.
- Develop strong relationships with our customers and their rail logistics/operations teams.
- Develop and manage the variable and fixed rail logistics budgets.
- Identify, develop and implement distribution cost savings projects.
- Insure compliance with rail logistical regulations
- Insure food safety and security delivery compliance
- Work with operations and construction to ensure layout of facilities and grounds result in efficient flow of rail fleet and related equipment.
PERSONAL AND WORK ENVIRONMENT SAFETY is achieved through:
- An unfailing commitment to follow all safety procedures, performs risk assessments prior to commencing unfamiliar tasks, and seeks to identify and implement proactive safety improvements.
WORKFORCE FLEXIBILITY AND BENCH STRENGTH are significantly greater due to:
- A proactive commitment to learn production and business processes in order to strengthen contributions to the organization.
- Continuous vigilance in identifying needed additions and improvements to the facilities’ operating systems.
- Committed and unfailing support for co-workers, production personnel, and all other team members working to achieve operational and personnel performance excellence.
To qualify for this position, an individual must possess any combination of experience and education that would likely produce the desired job outcomes. Specific requirements include:
- A Bachelor degree in applicable field (Supply Chain, Logistics, Business, etc.) and a minimum of one year of rail experience in logistics, production scheduling is desired. For candidates without a bachelor degree, a minimum of 5-years of business-related work experience is desired.
- Experience in customs, food safety/manufacturing preferred.
- Railroad Knowledge – Understanding of railroad transportation network, interchange and railroad websites to facilitate routing and diversions of equipment, way billing and expediting delayed shipments
- Exposure to rail pricing, marketing and negotiations with railroads or rail car lessors is a plus
- Proficient user of Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong communication skills: written, interpersonal, small group and presentations.
- Project management, team building and problem solving skills. Ability to work quickly and accurately with attention to detail.
- Ability to re-prioritize based on current dynamics.
- Strong interpersonal skills to build rapport; ability to proactively seek solutions using diplomacy and tact, ability to collaborate and cooperate with others to resolve issues quickly.
- Decision-making which demonstrates sound judgment for results and is cost-efficient.
- Self-starter that demonstrates desire to grow professionally, making use of constructive feedback
Job Type: Full-time